Proud Parents - July 24, 2010
Janet,
We didn't know if you would write this week because we just saw you. We had such a wonderful time in Nauvoo - we really wished we could stay longer. It really is a special place - a little bit of heaven on earth. What a blessing you have had to serve there. I am sure it will be one of the highlights of your life. We love you! Please tell Sister Ricks that we love her too and thank her for putting up with our strange requests. I hope the friendships you have made will last a lifetime.
Love,
Mom
Janet,
I've been thinking about our Nauvoo experience all afternoon. I shared with Mom and others that we seemed to be in another world for the last two days. The sweet spirit of zion. Much better than an EFY. EFY is just a taste. I wish all the saints could feel the Spirit of Nauvoo. I wish the world could feel the spirit of zion and Nauvoo. The great feelings of love. I pray/hope the spirit will return home with us and we can be better. I'm grateful you've been able to serve and that we have been blessed by the spirit of your service.
Grandpa, kept saying to me: "I haven't had this much fun in years." I hope we haven't distracted you from your work. You have great companions, friends, and leaders--we love them. Continue to do good and finish strong. We are proud of you and pleased with you.
May God bless you. Hurrah for Israel!
Love,
Dad
P.S. Thanks for telling me you missed me. It meant a lot to me to know that you love me. All is well!
Grateful Missionary - July 25, 2010
Hey Family,
Well, I have to say that I'm grateful you guys could come and experience a little piece of zion. As I have been reflecting on the time I had with you, I can't help but have a little bit of a feeling in the pit of my stomach because there was so much focus on me. I talked the whole time. I was so excited for you to be with me that I didn't feel like I got to hear about you guys. I didn't even let you talk about your lives. Anyways, I'm over it. I'm glad you got to Nauvoo safely because the night before you came I had a nightmare that you all died in a plane crash on your way over so, I was panicked the whole next day. Oh by the way, I think you guys stayed for just the right amount of time. I was ready for you guys to leave so I could get focused. I love you just the same. Don't feel like I wasn't grateful for you! I have never been so proud of my family. I was so grateful to be part of the Reynders family.
Something that I have learned while being out here in Nauvoo is to ACT. And I don't mean "act" on stage, but to act when you have promptings from Heavenly Father. To not sit and talk about change, but to actually make a change. Men and women of faith don't talk of moving in the right direction, they take that step of faith. They express their faith by the things they do. When what you feel in your heart is from God, you should do, and act upon it. This is a church of doing not just proclaiming.
Bishop McMullin said as he has known President Monson for over 35 years, he has heard the same stories over and over from him. You know, how President Monson always proclaims a principle and then demonstrates it through an example . . . . well anyways, he said as he sat and listened to one of Present Monson's stories, a thought came into his head, "You've heard the stories, have you learned the lessons?" I have the blessed opportunity to portray the lives of the saints everyday through music and dance. As I work in sites, I tell the stories of those who lived before us in this city of Nauvoo. I tell the same stories week after week. "I have heard the stories, have I learned the lessons?" I know these last couple weeks I am going to make an extra effort to learn from the legacy the saints have left behind. To not let their stories go to waste, to REMEMBER. To take gospel principles from their lives and apply them to mine. To take what I learned and go and do. I will change my life by knowing of theirs. And, I challenge you to take a closer look at your life, especially after just coming from Nauvoo, "You've heard the stories now, have you learned the lessons?"
Have fun at the family reunion! I am so happy Grandpa had fun!!!! That makes me happy! Claire I'm truly saddened that I couldn't be at your wedding....Dane's too in that case.
Go ahead and share anything you want mom from my emails. Sorry I don't have an official letter for the Thorley's, but you can share what I have shared with you. I love the gospel and I love to bear my testimony of the living Christ every day.
Janet Reynders
Friday, July 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Just thanks for sharing this experience! I have loved following all of it! I told my husband that Nauvoo is one of the missions I want he and I to do one day! Janet you are an incredible young lady! I know and love the Reynders family and you are certainly making all of them very proud I am sure!
ReplyDelete