SING . . . . . . . . . . DANCE . . . . . . . . . . TESTIFY!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

First Photos from Nauvoo

This is Janet's sister Annie. My other sister Kate and I just got back from Nauvoo yesterday and thought people might be interested to see a few pictures of Sister Reynders (Janet) in action and maybe hear a little more info about what she is up to. Kate just returned from the Canada Winnipeg Mission last Friday, and on a whim, we decided that we wanted to make a trip out to Nauvoo. Janet didn't know we were coming and we wanted to surprise her, but she saw us first.

After totally flipping out, Janet calmed down enough to take a picture with Kate, whom she hadn't seen in a year and a half. Janet was on her lunch break downstairs in the Visitors Center. The performing missionaries get fed lunch each day (except Wednesday), but are on their own for their other meals. Janet had just finished doing tours of the Print Shop that morning, so she is wearing the dress that she wears around the historic sites.

Janet was pretty busy, so Kate and I looked around between shows. Kate is posing in front of the house that Janet and all the performing sisters live in. Pretty cool. We weren't allowed inside, but Janet showed us some pictures and it looks really fun.

We didn't get to see all of Janet's shows. They still are in their first week of performances, so Janet was trying to get the hang of her schedule. When she gets settled in we'll post a schedule of her performances so that people visiting can know what tickets (they are free, but limited) to reserve if they want to see her. This is her in her costume after "High Hopes and Riverboats."

This is Janet with her companion Sister Bingham. All the performing missionaries do their best to follow the white handbook, but it's tricky sometimes with things like study times and their schedule. They all do their best to follow the things that apply. It was fun for me to watch Sister Reynders and Sister Bingham follow each other around like good companions at the restaurant when we took the two of them out to lunch.

Janet plays a little girl in "Just Plain Anna Amanda." It was my favorite show. Nauvoo has really done a lot to make the whole place a family experience and "Anna Amanda" is a show specifically for children. It was so well done. We took a few video clips that we might try and get up later.

Here is Janet with some of the cast members from "Anna Amanda." After all their shows the performing missionaries come out to meet the audience, talk to them, and take pictures. I watched all the little kids after the show and I am sure they were as glad to take their pictures with these missionaries as they would be with the characters at Disneyland.

This is Janet with her twin in the play. The Elders and Sisters live the "no touching" rule, but I caught them in a high five.

I was so impressed by all the performing missionaries. They weren't just kids putting on a show, but really seemed to carry a missionary spirit about them. Janet can use her talents perfectly in Nauvoo. She is good at the singing and dancing, but is really great at interacting with all who come to visit Nauvoo. Janet is having a blast and having wonderful experiences in the process. Nauvoo seems to have been made for her and she seems to be made for Nauvoo.

3 comments:

  1. That last line in your post makes me think of something Poppy once said(and I'm paraphrasing)but this was the just of it,"I don't know if I was made for Nauvoo or if Nauvoo was made for me." He was teary-eyed when he said it. He had learned and felt so much from his service there, much more than he ever expected. He felt like he gave little compared to what he got. Janet is busting out all over from her experience. I can't wait to see the videos. Glad you girls got to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! I love that we got to be your Nauvoo pit stop! Hope your home travels went well and that all is well! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the pictures and it was great to see Kate in the pictures. I'm sure you are having the time of your life.

    ReplyDelete